- Various roles are available for those attending a meeting: host, co-host, alternate host, and participant. It is the host who determines the type of role you will have in the meeting.
- Host: This is the person who schedules the meeting. She or he has full permissions to manage the meeting from beginning to end. However, these meetings can only be hosted by one person.
- Co-hosts: Co-hosts have most of the administrative control that hosts have, allowing them the ability to keep track of the meeting’s attendees and to manage the meeting’s administrative side. Co-hosts must be chosen by the host for the meeting. A meeting cannot be started by co-hosts. As a host, you can assign another host to start the meeting if you need someone else to do it.
- Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls with co-hosts, but he can also start the meeting. Whenever meeting hosts schedule a meeting, they can assign a substitute host.
Note: Use the scheduling privilege to facilitate a meeting for another user on their behalf, if you need to do so.
Read it also –
|Roles In A Zoom Meeting For Host Co Host Alternative Hosts And Participants|
|Roles In A Zoom Webinar|
|Zoom Events Roles Tickets And Permissions|
|On Zoom Event Roles And Permissions|
It follows a comparison between the control options available to the host, co-host, alternative host, and participant during a meeting.
- In the event that an asterisk (*) appears next to a feature, that feature can be disabled by the host.
- Certain features are dependent on specific prerequisites before they can be activated. In the event that you are unable to see a feature, make sure your account meets the requirements described in the article.
|Feature||Host||Co-host / alternative
Participating in the meeting
|Start the meeting||✔||see note|
|Start/stop their own video||✔||✔||✔*|
|View participants list||✔||✔||✔|
|Request or give remote control||✔||✔||✔|
|Chat with participants (in-meeting chat)||✔||✔||✔|
|Save in-meeting chat||✔||✔|
|Create or edit polls||✔||✔ (see note)|
|Assign someone to enter closed captions||✔|
|Enter closed captions||✔||✔*||✔*|
|Use call-out to join audio by phone||✔||✔||✔|
|Reactions and nonverbal feedback||✔||✔||✔|
|Mute or unmute participants||✔||✔|
|Stop participant‘s video||✔||✔|
|Ask participant to start video||✔||✔|
|Spotlight a video||✔||✔|
|Promote participant to host or co-host||✔|
|Change who attendees can chat with||✔||✔|
|Put participants on hold||✔||✔|
|Invite others to join||✔||✔||✔|
|Mute controls for participants (ask to mute, mute all, mute on entry)||✔||✔|
|Assign participants to breakout rooms||✔||✔|
|Start cloud recording||✔||✔|
|Start local recording||✔||✔||✔*|
|Allow or forbid a participant to start local recording||✔||✔|
|Live stream on Facebook||✔|
|Live stream on Workplace||✔|
|Live stream on YouTube||✔|
|Custom live stream||✔|
- As an alternative, alternative hosts can access the meeting by using the meeting ID or meeting URL that was provided to them in the invitation email. Unlike the desktop client or mobile app, the meeting will not be listed in the list of upcoming meetings for alternative hosts.
- Alternate hosts are unable to schedule meetings on behalf of the original host. A co-host cannot be assigned at the beginning of the meeting. A participant has to be promoted to the position as a co-host. If the host desires to appoint an alternative host, the user can do so.
- For the moment, hosts and co-hosts are unable to start local recording and cloud recording at the same time. It is not possible to start local recording after the host or co-host begins cloud recording. Additionally, the host and co-host are not able to control both local and cloud recording independently of each other.
- As soon as the co-host or host stops recording, both the local recording as well as the cloud recording will stop. This happens if you start local recording before cloud recording. Once your local recording is started, you cannot stop it unless you also stop your cloud recording.
- In order for alternative hosts to be able to add polls and edit them, you must enable the setting that allows them to do so.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the role of alternative host in zoom?
How many alternative hosts can I have in zoom?
What is the difference between alternative host and co-host in zoom?
Can you add an alternative host to an already scheduled Zoom meeting?
Can a co-host cancel a Zoom meeting?
How do I allow Zoom participants to join automatically without a host?